[Update: Some people have reported that the ‘crash’ still returns after using the following procedure and going online again. It seems that the problem may lie with the online contacts in Gmail or elsewhere that Android is trying to synchronise. While I have not had this problem myself, this forum post suggests that the source of the error might be an incomplete date field in one or more of the online contacts.
If you have this issue, please go to the email accounts that you want to synchronise from a computer, look through your contact lists and correct the entries where you find suspicious items. Also, report success here :) ]
[Caution: You will still lose your contact database in using this approach. Backup regularly].
I have talked earlier about the irritating crash of the android.process.acore process, which occurs due to the same contact featuring in multiple accounts that are being synced on Android, which leads to a conflict.
I had earlier suggested that you reset the Adam to factory settings to recover from this error, which is a solution that works, but is lethal to the installed apps and preferences on your device.
I had also suggested that only one Gmail account should be used for synchronisation as the main account, and configured in the Gmail app. Any secondary Gmail accounts or Google App accounts should be configured in alternative email clients such as Mail’d.
This preventive solution did seem to work for me, but I again got the error a couple of days back. I wasn’t willing to go through the pain of reinstalling my apps again, especially as the Android Market seems to restrict access to some apps periodically by rejecting the device, leading to multiple resets of Market, followed by reboots.
I figured that if the problem was occurring due to contact syncing conflicts, the solution also lay in contact management rather than identity management. I therefore took the following steps:
- Go offline
- Go to Settings > Applications > All > Google Services Framework, hit Force Stop
- Go back a level, go to Gmail, hit Force Stop and Clear Data
- Go back a level, go to Contacts, hit Force Stop and Clear Data
- Go back a level, go to Contacts Storage, hit Force Stop and Clear Data
- Repeat steps 2, 4 and 5 for good measure
- Reboot, just to be safe
After rebooting and going online, I restarted Gmail, and it started downloading my mail again. I have stopped getting the android.process.acore error now, and still have all my applications.
Try this non-lethal solution before using the drain cleaner.